Saturday 24 January 2015

Tutorial 1: DIY Cut Up A T-Shirt

Hey Guys!

Welcome back to Learn & Discover :)

This week I have decided to do a tutorial on how to cut up a shirt.

Difficulty: 1 out of 5
Time/Duration: 10 minutes


There are many different ways to do this but I decided to pick a simple design that still looks great. This is a rest way to up cycle or recycle those old band tee's. I've see this on brand new shirts in stores but now you can have the freedom to do it with any shirt you wish.

This is a great way to recycle those old t-shirts and revamping them for the summer!

Lets get started!

Here is the pictorial I used to help me learn the steps:



You will need:

- a t-shirt
- fabric scissors or sharp scissors
- flat surface

First you're going to want to pick out  a t-shirt. this can work with essentially any fabric. The one I used was a cotton/spandex blend.

Now time to use those scissors. I used a pair of fabric scissors but a sharp pair of everyday scissors should do the trick with most materials.

Fold the shirt vertically in half, seam to seam, with the front of the shirt inside the fold. Grab the centre of the top and bottom of the back/outside layer of your shirt and drop the front layer. Then place the shirt on a flat surface

Then you will want to start making your slits. You can start anywhere but I decided to start from the top of the garment and work my way down.

(The first slit is the longest so keep that in mind!)

Next cut a new slit 3/4"-1" below your first and repeat. Each time you cut it a new slit it should be shorter than previous. This will create an ideal V-shape.

Stretch out the strips of fabric so they can be easily manipulated for the next step.

Now you will want to do (what I call) a "Loop, pull, and twist" action.

Grab your first piece of fabric and create a loop in the centre by grabbing the strip with your index finger and turning it 180 degrees.

Pull the next strip through the bottom of the loop and twist.

Repeat.

When you get to the bottom pull your last strip through and simply double knot like you would your shoe.

Voila! You now have a rad new shirt!

Here were my results!

DIY, ripped, t-shirt, band shirt, summer, breezy

I hope you found this tutorial helpful! Stay tuned for next tutorial :)

No comments:

Post a Comment